Almost Four Years

Campaign for Erin Caffey almost four years on

September 2021

Written by Robert A. Stewart

It has been four years since I watched a program presented by Pier Morgan. He did a series on women who are convicted of murder and the first program I watched was about a lady from Texas. Her name is Erin Caffey who at the time the program the filmed in 2014 was aged 24 but was just 16 when she committed a crime which was considered barbaric even by America's standards.

For those who are unaware of the crime details you can find a video on youtube by typing in Erin Caffey into the search engine or doing a google search.

After watching the program I decided to go on a letter writing campaign for Erin because I firmly believe that as barbaric as the crime seems, Erin was only 16. She was the youngest of the quartet and the only one of the four who was a minor at the time of the crime, therefore, the balance of responsibility for the crime should have fallen on the older ones. That despite the fact that Erin was the mastermind of crime.

I have written a number of letters to Erin and received one back in 2018. She comes across as a bubbly person.

There are two options as I see it; the first is to go to court and argue that it is against the constitution to sentence a minor to life imprisonment without parole. That is unlikely to succeed as Erin is eligible for parole in 2038. 

The second option is to apply for clemency and it is this which I am going to do but this will all take time.

I did write to Erin recently to tell her that her Dad needs to write in his will what he would like to happen at her parole hearing in 2038 if he passes on before then.

My view of the crime is that the two guys who did the killing acted according to their own will. If someone tells you to do something and you do then whose responsible for whatever it was you were told to do?

I thought that Pier Morgan was fair with Erin. It was a very balanced program. But I think the other three participants in this crime should have been interviewed. I wonder what they have to say for themselves. I did contact them for a comment but received no response.

Erin was also interviewed by Dr. Philip McGraw. I thought she was treated unfairly by McGraw. She was coerced into giving answers he wanted his viewers to hear. Erin was in an emotional state when Dr. McGraw interviewed her so was not in the right mindset to answer his questions. 

Erin is not the only prisoner I have campaigned for. 

Six weeks after I started campaigning for Erin I became aware of a campaign to free Cyntoia Brown from Tennessee. This campaign was led by Kim Kardashian-West and a petition to free Cyntoia received several hundred thousand signatures. I filled out the online petition. Cyntoia was granted clemency by the Tennessee governor in 2019.

Jennifer Mee is another young lady who appeared in Pier Morgan's program. I saw the program in late 2018 and have campaigned for Jennifer ever since. I am not the only one who is campaigning for her. I think clemency is an option for Jennifer and that is what I am working toward but she is not eligible for clemency until 2030 as I understand it. I have had a bit of communication with Jennifer through the prison email system Jpay.com 

Jennifer has other people campaigning for her. Another supporter has a site www.jmeefree.com

Check out some of the stuff I have written about Erin and Jennifer's case on:

www.erincaffey.blogspot.com

www.freejennifer.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINDING A SCAPEGOAT

MEANING OF ACCOUNTABLITY

US PLEA BARGAINING